KDE and Google Summer of Code 2018
Valorie Zimmerman
2018-01-10 23:03:25 UTC
Hello GSoC mentors, and teams supporting mentors,

TL;DR: Fill out https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas; read
https://community.kde.org/GSoC. Now.

Every year, we've asked for more time to get ramped up for GSoC, and so now
is the time for organizations to apply[1]. We have begun to write our
application, and that means that our Ideas page needs to be filled NOW,
because that is the prime consideration for the GSoC team once the Org
Applications deadline has passed.

The quality of our ideas and the guidance they give our students are the
most important part of our application. Please begin filling in your ideas
now if you have not already, and ensure that that page is comprehensive,
accurate and attractive. Including screenshots and other images is allowed,
if it enriches the idea for a project. *Please ensure complete information
about how to contact the team*; this is crucial.

Also, take a look at the landing page https://community.kde.org/GSoC.
Experienced mentors agree that:

1. commits must be made before the student proposal is submitted, and
linked on that proposal, and

2. that regular communication from the student must be initiated by the
student at least weekly, and we expect daily or nearly daily communication
with the team in a more informal way.

Be sure to point students to that information, as this should lower the
number of proposals, while raising the quality.

1. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

PS: If your team has an Idea, ensure that you have mentors for it, and that
those mentors are subscribe to KDE-Soc-Mentor list. Remove any ideas
without mentors available, please. Now, before you forget!

Valorie
http://about.me/valoriez
Valorie Zimmerman
2018-01-15 00:39:41 UTC
I'm very discouraged to see so little movement on this. After skipping GCi
this past fall, are we now also considering skipping GSoC? Or downsizing
the number of students we are mentoring?

Without Ideas we will not get students. More important, we must complete
the Org application soon, and the Ideas page is the core of that
application.

This is good for your team and your project, in the long run. It brings in
new contributors and fresh ideas.

If you need some guidance, please read
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list.html

I should have linked to it for the last email.

Valorie

http://about.me/valoriez
Johnny Jazeix
2018-01-15 09:06:17 UTC

on GCompris side, we hope/plan to mentor 2 students like last year. I
updated the page to add one more task.

Regarding the events: this year, we were planning to skip SoK to focus more
on GCi and GSoC, having the 3 events is too consuming and do not allow us
to progress on our main tasks. There was a bit of change due to the fact
that it was GCi that was skipped but the main point is still there, we
don't have enough time/resource to handle the 3 events.

Johnny
http://about.me/valoriez
Dmitry Kazakov
2018-01-15 13:13:16 UTC
Hi, Valorie!

I have just edited the list of Krita ideas, now we have 8 ideas, 4 of
which are low-hanging fruits with localized optimizations of the code. I
hope that will help people who do not want to learn all half-million
lines of Krita code.

Speaking truly, I think I understand why there is so little effort from
people with the ideas. Since the last year Google forbids students to
apply more than 2 times, it means that most of the applicants will be
newcomers and, most probably, they will not be able to prepare some
extensive proposal/design for a project. It is just too difficult to
prepare a good proposal for a project so big in size. So it might be
that the quality of last year proposals discouraged people from doing
this work again.

The only way how we can solve the issue is to prepare very scope-limited
tasks, such that the students would not need to learn all the code (in
our case we just added AVX optimizations, which are limited to a scope
of a couple of classes). But that is not always possible or makes sense
for the some projects.
Dmitry Kazakov
Nate Graham
2018-01-15 19:15:29 UTC
I've submitted an idea for System Settings: Improve handling for
touchpads and mice with Libinput

https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas#Improve_handling_for_touchpads_and_mice_with_Libinput

This is pretty important going forward since most distros are shipping
with Libinput now, but our users aren't able to configure their devices
without resorting to editing xorg config files using a different driver.

Nate
Dmitry Kazakov
Roman Gilg
2018-01-17 17:18:32 UTC

Valorie, do we have until 23rd with project ideas? I didn't want to mentor
this year because I only was a GSoC student last year, but since there are
not yet many ideas from Plasma/KWin I might do it anyway.

Nate, I want to get a rework of the Wayland Mouse KCM already into Plasma
5.13. But the final GSoC submission is way after the release. Libinput
configuration on X might be still a valuable addition (although I would
like to see these resources better spent on some other part of the Wayland
session, in particular when you factor in the late final submission next
summer).

Cheers
Roman
Dmitry Kazakov
Roman Gilg
Dmitry Kazakov
Martin Flöser
2018-01-18 18:54:05 UTC
Post by Roman Gilg
https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas#KWin
The first idea (parallel rendering) is IMHO too difficult for a GSoC.
The other idea sounds reasonable from scope.

Cheers
Martin
Post by Roman Gilg
Post by Roman Gilg
Hi,
[...]
Post by Roman Gilg
[1]
[...]
[2]
TL;DR: Fill out https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas [3]
<https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas [3]>; read
1. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline [4]
<https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline [4]>
PS: If your team has an Idea, ensure that you have mentors for it,
and that those mentors are subscribe to KDE-Soc-Mentor list.
Remove any ideas without mentors available, please. Now, before
you forget!
Valorie
--
http://about.me/valoriez
--
Dmitry Kazakov
------
[1]
[4] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
Roman Gilg
2018-01-18 22:05:59 UTC
Yea, I thought that we could find maybe some intermediate state/goal for
the parallel rendering to which we can fallback when the overall goal can't
be achieved. I would add a line about the difficulty of this project to the
idea list. What do you think about this plan? But if you still think that
it's not a good idea, I'll remove it.

Your project ideas sound great. I will add these to the ideas list. Also
maybe David could mentor one of them.
Post by Roman Gilg
https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas#KWin
The first idea (parallel rendering) is IMHO too difficult for a GSoC. The
other idea sounds reasonable from scope.
Cheers
Martin
Post by Roman Gilg
Hi,
Post by Roman Gilg
[...]
Post by Roman Gilg
[1]
[...]
[2]
Martin Flöser
2018-01-19 20:19:23 UTC
Post by Roman Gilg
Yea, I thought that we could find maybe some intermediate state/goal
for the parallel rendering to which we can fallback when the overall
goal can't be achieved. I would add a line about the difficulty of
this project to the idea list. What do you think about this plan? But
if you still think that it's not a good idea, I'll remove it.
The task is huge and that's the main problem.
* Compositor needs to be woken up for each screen
* Which then goes into the scene to setup the information on what to
repaint
* which then goes into the effects

Now the main difficulty is that when e.g. a window is on both screens
the damage gets reset when the first screen is repainted. The complete
architecture is not fit for that. We would have to track the damage in a
screen aware manner (which is hardly possible with the lousy screen API
we have in KWin).

I spend lots of thinking about how to get the rendering of the
Compositor into an own thread - which goes into the same area. Ideally
each output would have a dedicated rendering thread. I started some work
on it, but probably completely unusable.

So a reasonable scope could be:
* improved internal screen API which allows a window to know on which
screens it is and damage per screen
* adjust the Compositor to be on top of that per screen damage
* maybe get the scene to be adjusted to use this information

That could be a neat way as we could introduce step by step without
removing the old code. So the result could be that KWin core can handle
it, but it would not be used yet as effects don't support it. Or only if
no effect is active.

Cheers
Martin
Post by Martin Flöser
https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas#KWin [1]
[...]
Post by Martin Flöser
[2]
[1]
[...]
Post by Martin Flöser
[3]
[2]
TL;DR: Fill out https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas [4] [3]
<https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas [4] [3]>; read
1. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline [5] [4]
<https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline [5] [4]>
PS: If your team has an Idea, ensure that you have mentors for it,
and that those mentors are subscribe to KDE-Soc-Mentor list.
Remove any ideas without mentors available, please. Now, before
you forget!
Valorie
--
http://about.me/valoriez
--
Dmitry Kazakov
------
[1]
https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas#Improve_handling_for_touchpads_and_mice_with_Libinput
Post by Martin Flöser
[2]
[2]
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list.html
Post by Martin Flöser
[3]
[3] https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas [4]
[4] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline [5]
------
[1] https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas#KWin
[2]
[4] https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas
[5] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
Martin Flöser
2018-01-18 18:51:11 UTC
Post by Roman Gilg
Hi,
Valorie, do we have until 23rd with project ideas? I didn't want to
mentor this year because I only was a GSoC student last year, but
since there are not yet many ideas from Plasma/KWin I might do it
anyway.
I'm not able to mentor this year (due to conflicting hobby), but I had
some ideas:

* fuzzing in kwayland
* wacom tablet support (libinput in KWin, useful support in KWin,
KWayland protocol, QtWayland protocol)

Cheers
Martin
Post by Nate Graham
I've submitted an idea for System Settings: Improve handling for
touchpads and mice with Libinput
https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas#Improve_handling_for_touchpads_and_mice_with_Libinput
Post by Nate Graham
[1]
[...]
[2]
Marco Martin
2018-01-19 09:35:48 UTC
Post by Roman Gilg
Hi,
Valorie, do we have until 23rd with project ideas? I didn't want to
mentor this year because I only was a GSoC student last year, but
since there are not yet many ideas from Plasma/KWin I might do it
anyway.
I'm not able to mentor this year (due to conflicting hobby), but I had some
* fuzzing in kwayland
* wacom tablet support (libinput in KWin, useful support in KWin, KWayland
protocol, QtWayland protocol)
since i was toying around tablet mode stuff lately, i tought of a
thing i would like to see in kwin when switching to tablet mode, that
maybe is appropriately sized for a gsoc, do you think the following is
a good idea?
when going in tablet mode, i would like window placement to be
maximized, window borders to be absent when maximized ( both of which
i think would be currently feasible with a fairly trivial script, just
to expose tablet mode to scripting i guess) and slightly more
complicated, some kind of gesture/ui similar to windows 10 split
screen mode, visible here:

which would be some kind of combination of maximizing a window to take
half of the screen, which is supported with showing a kindof alt+tab
ui on the half that't free.
In the end should all be done in a (script? effect?) so is easy to
disable altogether thing is, how much of the core has to be touched to
allow such an extension.

Marco Martin
David Edmundson
2018-01-19 12:48:56 UTC
* wacom tablet support (libinput in KWin, useful support in KWin, KWayland
protocol, QtWayland protocol)
Good idea, I'd be happy to mentor that.

I'll write it up.

David
Valorie Zimmerman
2018-01-20 05:35:50 UTC
Yes, Jan 23 is the deadline for the Org application. Of course we can
continue to add, edit and tinker around the edges until the students begin
to apply. But we want a lovely list by the 23rd. -v
Hi,
http://about.me/valoriez
Marco Martin
2018-01-19 09:42:44 UTC
I've submitted an idea for System Settings: Improve handling for touchpads
and mice with Libinput
Speaking of systemsettings, would be a good fit porting to qml some
medium-to-big kcm?
Marco Martin
David Edmundson
2018-01-19 12:42:25 UTC
Post by Nate Graham
and mice with Libinput
Speaking of systemsettings, would be a good fit porting to qml some
medium-to-big kcm?
It's perfect.

Though I'd like us to emphasise that it's not just about doing a simple 1:1
switch of the UI layer but building on Andy's mockups with a UI redesign,
doing a code tidy up, and fixing any relevant open bugs in that module at
the same time.

Note that they'll be finishing GSOC around the same time as 5.14, so that
potentially means GSOC work released in 5.15.
We shouldn't pick high priority ones that we want done before then.

David
Marco Martin
2018-01-19 16:41:04 UTC
Post by David Edmundson
Note that they'll be finishing GSOC around the same time as 5.14, so that
potentially means GSOC work released in 5.15.
We shouldn't pick high priority ones that we want done before then.
basing on the priorities recorded in https://phabricator.kde.org/project/view/
254/

a possible list, among the "medium":
* removable devices
* printers
* spell check
* formats

among the "high", but we can live if gets delayed a bit:
* mouse (can of worms?)
* date/time
* user manager

other suggestions?
Marco Martin
David Edmundson
2018-01-19 17:06:52 UTC
Post by Marco Martin
Post by David Edmundson
Note that they'll be finishing GSOC around the same time as 5.14, so that
potentially means GSOC work released in 5.15.
We shouldn't pick high priority ones that we want done before then.
basing on the priorities recorded in https://phabricator.kde.org/
project/view/
254/
* removable devices
* printers
* spell check
* formats
* mouse (can of worms?)
* date/time
* user manager
other suggestions?
Mouse is maybe covered by Roman's existing task?
Printers isn't part of Plasma, we need to check with the author.

But I think all of them are good options.

They're not the same size, I don't think working on date and time would
take up 3 months.
Maybe we can group a few of the simpler ones together?

Go for it.
You can put me down in the list of mentors.

David
Post by Marco Martin
Marco Martin
pointedstick
2018-01-19 17:10:17 UTC
While we're at it, let's not only re-work existing KCMs, but try to take the opportunity to simplify and consolidate where possible. For example, the Launch Feedback KCM consists only of two checkboxes that could easily be moved elsewhere (the cursor part into the Cursors KCM, and the Task Manager part into individual Task Manager widgets' settings, perhaps?)

Nate

---- On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:06:52 -0800 David Edmundson wrote ----
Marco Martin
Clemens Toennies
2018-01-20 03:10:33 UTC
Post by pointedstick
While we're at it, let's not only re-work existing KCMs, but try to take
the opportunity to simplify and consolidate where possible. For example,
the Launch Feedback KCM consists only of two checkboxes that could easily
be moved elsewhere (the cursor part into the Cursors KCM, and the Task
Manager part into individual Task Manager widgets' settings, perhaps?)

Good points.
The Fx Speed in the compositing kcm could also fit in the Effects kcm.

Greetings, Clemens.
Marco Martin
Albert Astals Cid
2018-01-21 19:25:10 UTC
El divendres, 19 de gener de 2018, a les 10:42:44 CET, Marco Martin va
Post by Marco Martin
I've submitted an idea for System Settings: Improve handling for touchpads
and mice with Libinput
Speaking of systemsettings, would be a good fit porting to qml some
medium-to-big kcm?
What's the actual benefit of that porting?

Cheers,
Albert
Post by Marco Martin
Marco Martin
David Edmundson
2018-01-21 23:35:47 UTC
Post by Marco Martin
Post by Nate Graham
and mice with Libinput
Speaking of systemsettings, would be a good fit porting to qml some
medium-to-big kcm?
What's the actual benefit of that porting?
Unifying and fixing all our KCMs is the intention, there's new designs from
Andy.
Use of QtQuick is a side effect, but the intended direction if we're
rewriting something anyway.

There's multiple threads on plasma-devel if you have something to follow
up. I don't think it's something for the GSOC thread as it's work already
happening. Thread "System Settings KCM Tidying" is probably the best
overview.

David
Thomas Pfeiffer
2018-01-22 16:50:05 UTC
Post by Marco Martin
I've submitted an idea for System Settings: Improve handling for touchpads
and mice with Libinput
Speaking of systemsettings, would be a good fit porting to qml some
medium-to-big kcm?
What's the actual benefit of that porting?
Unifying and fixing all our KCMs is the intention, there's new designs from Andy.
Use of QtQuick is a side effect, but the intended direction if we're rewriting something anyway.
Let’s not forget touch-friendliness as an important benefit!